Problems at Work?

You can get help with any work problem provided that you have been a member of UCU for at least 90 days.  The help is provided by members who are trained as caseworkers. UCU caseworkers advise and support members with all sorts of problems from workload issues to bullying and have helped all grades of staff including professors. The kind of support we can provide ranges from listening and advising to representation at meetings and, for the most serious cases, UCU can help you to get access to legal advice.

Our advice would be to approach UCU as soon as you feel that you have a problem; don’t wait until a problem is entrenched, about to be resolved in some unsatisfactory way by the university or has made you ill.

You can get help by contacting the office by e-mail at in the first instance. Liz Wood is Newcastle UCU’s casework coordinator

By ringing 0191 208 6734 or by calling into into the office which is situated at 10 Eldon Place, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 7RU (behind Northern Stage)

You can also get advice from RECOURSE web based information but also has a helpline where you can talk problems through with a trained adviser.   They can be helpful on issues which are outside the scope of UCU.  Their web page can be found at or at

Group and Organisational support

UCU at Newcastle University can also offer help and support at to specific groups or at an organisational level. Examples include:

  • Promotions procedure
  • Avoidance of redundancy
  • Staff contracts
  • Discipline
  • Grievance
  • Health and Safety
  • Environmental issues

National campaigns

Nationally, UCU is working to:

For advice and assistance please contact your UCU representatives as follows: